Fact: Cold weather = Dull Grey Complexion.
Air conditioning, biting winds, hot showers and low temperatures are just some of the elements our poor little mug has to deal with in winter. Our skin becomes dehydrated which slows down skin cell turn over and our circulation also slows down which leads to lacklustre skin.
So what can we do to combat this I hear you ask?
Well firstly we need to work from the inside out.
1. Increase your water rich foods (tomatoes, watermelon, lettuce, broccoli etc) - this is better than just drinking water alone
2. Drink more fluids (no not alcohol!!! well some maybe..it is nearly Christmas after all!!!) What I actually mean is herbal teas such as lemon, honey & ginger or Chai, Water, Fruit Juice etc
3. Eat more food which contain Omega 3 (Flaxseed, Walnuts, Salmon, Herring, Sardines etc) or take a good supplement such as Eskimo Oil Omega 3 Liquid.
Ok so that's a great start now we can work on the outside.
1. Cleanse: Start and finish your day with a cream or oil cleanser as they generally contain less stripping agents than gels. I love the Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser. It is rich and creamy
and quickly removes makeup and daily grim whilst leaving
the skin clean and soft. To remove any heavy eye makeup I use the Garnier Express 2 in 1 eye makeup remover. It contains Arginine which helps care for your lashes and removes even waterproof mascara and liner without leaving a greasy residue.
2. Exfoliate: I use the Clarins Gentle Exfoliator Brightening Toner.
This is a toner and exfoliator in one and unlike most toners (which I think are mainly flowery water) this one actually works. It contains glycolic, tartaric and salicylic acid which exfoliates and brightens the complexion and smooths the skin. It is super gentle so can be used daily however Clarins recommend once or twice a week. Perfect for removing dead skin cells.
3. Treat: I have been using a serum just over a year after falling in love with Clarins Double Serum.
What is a serum though and why do you need to add it to your skincare routine?
Well basically a Serum will treat or cure problems such as dehydration, ageing, acne and sun damage. They are absorbed quicker and deeper by your skin and are more potent than your moisturiser.
I am currently using the Lush Full of Grace Bar which is deeply moisturising. It is packed full of skin feeding oils and Portobello mushrooms which are full of skin protecting vitamins and minerals. I just warm it between my hands and apply to my face at night.
4. Moisturise: In winter your skin may need a richer cream or balm instead of a light lotion. You still need SPF so make sure your moisturiser or foundation contain one. I am currently coming to the end of the Vichy LiftActiv Day cream and Night Cream. This is a little too "old" for my skin but I love the texture of both creams. My makeup just glides on over the day cream and the night cream is rich without been greasy. They are perfect for anyone 40+ who is worried about wrinkles and lack of firmness. However I will be changing to something more suitable for my skin once I have finished both. For an eye cream I am currently using the Clinique All About Eyes which is a beautiful moisture rich cream.
When your skin is dehydrated the fine lines around your eyes become more noticeable first. So it is very important to keep this delicate skin well hydrated.
5. Masks: Again it is all about the hydration. And you are probably sick of me raving about the Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Recovery Masque. It is packed full of vitamins A, C & E which help to repair damaged skin, antioxidants to help stressed ageing skin and botanicals which leave your skin plumped, fresh and glowing with health. However I got a sample of the Vichy Aqualia Thermal Night Spa last week and tried it out. It feels as light as air and my skin just drank it up. I applied a good layer of it to my skin before going to bed and sleep in it. In the morning my skin was plump and glowing. So I think I will be investing in a little jar of this!
So that's it for now. I hope you enjoyed reading this...Let me know in the comments below if you would like me to do another blog on Winter Skincare Tips for Skin/Body/Lips.
Until next time...As Always...Be Happy!
Lover of all things beauty, Makeup Artist, Blogger & Wife . I am always on the look out for the perfect makeup or the best beauty product so keep reading to follow my never ending quest!